Saturday, October 15, 2011

In other news

This is going to be a post about the happenings since summer ended.... sorry to family who have already heard these stories!

So in July, there was a Butler family get-together where we played shoe-less soccer and leg wrestled.  Two things happened to me that day: 1. my foot got crushed in the soccer game when someone landed on it after jumping into the air.  2. my neck was injured from a leg wrestling contest that I lost when I got rolled up over my head and pulled every muscle.  So for the last couple of months I have been going to a chiropractor to help align my neck and it has been slowly working.  Well about 2 weeks ago, i mentioned that my foot was still hurting from the being stepped on.  He adjusts bones and i figured he could just adjust them back into place.  Well he grabbed a tuning fork, hit it (made it vibrate) and then held it on the sore spot.  It was uncomfortable, but bearable.  However, when he stopped the vibrating I noticed an immediate relief.  That was his clue that I had a fracture in my foot.  Say what??  Yup, that's right, I have been hiking caves, hiking in Yellowstone and Jenny Lake and teaching on a fractured foot and I didn't even know it?!  I mean, it couldn't have been a bad fracture since it hasn't slowed me down, but that is just sad that I didn't even realize I had broken something.  Don't worry it gets better.  The next day I had an appt. with a different doctor who was going to take care of a wart that had recently developed on the bottom of my big toe.  He had tried zapping it once before but it do anything, so he was going to make sure it did something this time..... and he acheived his goal.  First he shaved a little bit of skin off the top of it (didn't hurt), then he froze it twice as much as he did the last time (hurt a little bit, but not too bad), then he put an ointment on it, i think it is an acid of some sort, and the put tape over that to help seal it in.  Man o man was that a mistake.  I haven't been able to walk on that toe for 2 weeks now.  That wouldn't be so bad, except that it is on the same foot that was fractured, and because I can't walk on the toe, I have had to walk on the part that is fractured.  So NOW I am feeling the fracture, but there isn't anything I can do about it.  I have to wear flip flops cause they allow me to walk a little more normally.  I can't wear any type of closed toe shoe because it touches the blistered spot, which is about the size of a dime, and that isn't fun because it is getting cold outside!  Sigh.  Lesson learned, what lesson that is, I don't know, but it is learned!

On a happier note, for the first time since we have been married, I got a flower pot and I managed to keep it alive!  Here are some pics to prove it:
 The other two pots are from Mother's Day gifts. 
 The little pink one I have had since the first year we were married (living with my Aunt Cindy... do you remember those?) I put it in a bigger pot, moved it outside and it really took off!
 Can't wait for when we have a place for more flowers!

Other than that, school has started for both of us again.  I have a student teacher, and it has been really fun.  A lot of work, but fun nonetheless.  The weirdest thing is that she is from Woods Cross, has the same birthday as my brother, Devin (even the same year and was in the same hospital) and married a guy with his same name......
Thomas is loving most of his classes and really enjoys engineering, which is good since that is what he will probably do for the rest of his life. 
Well I guess that is all for now!  It feels great to be caught up, although I know it won't last for long.

No comments:

Post a Comment