Sunday, September 18, 2011

Jenny Lake

After Thomas finished up his finals for summer semester, we decided to take a trip to Jenny Lake in Jackson, Wyoming. School hadn't started for me yet and his had just ended, so we were both free for a couple of weeks.
We camped at Colter Bay which is on the north end of Jackson Lake. We got there halfway thru the day so we took a little hike around an island on the lake. It was so pretty but miserable because of all the mosquitos! They normally leave me alone, but not this time!

This pic just kind of made me laugh. I think it is naturally formed, although obviously someone stood it up in the water.

This was a shot of the Tetons. It is a little whitewashed because it was so bright, but it was a gorgeous view.Us in front of those Tetons. Can you tell we used the timer? (thus the backpack in the bottom of the pic)
When i first saw this mountain, i thought someone had built huge iron stairs up the face of it. But upon closer view through the binocs. I saw it was just a different type of rock. Weird tho!
The next day we hiked up above Jenny Lake to Hidden Falls. This is a full shot of the falls..... so pretty!
Us in front of the falls. We had to take this picture twice because the first time we were in the shadows. We are currently in pretty much the only sun in the little area you can hike to.
Then we hiked to Inspiration Point. While we rested, we pulled out some trail mix to munch on. Well I think a lot of people eat in the area, because the chipmunks are everywhere and they aren't shy! At first Thomas was like, no big deal, they'll just beg for food.......

Not so! This little guy crawled up on Thomas's backpack quite unexpectedly and it scared him pretty good. A while back he saw a pic of a guy who had been mauled by a chipmunk, so he was pretty nervous! ha ha ha
"Now let me train you how to do tricks!" ha ha ha, j/k but I told you they weren't shy!The view from Inspiration Point. There was a lot more to see, but my camera is only so big.
Hiking back down we saw this view that we hadn't seen on the way up (because it was to our backs). The Tetons are so incredible!

That night, we had reservations at the Bar J Ranch. It is a chuckwagon style dinner with an entertainment show afterwards done by cowboys that actually run the ranch. We had to get there way early cause it is first come first served so we had to entertain ourselves. I tried to mimic the bear, but I didn't do too well :)

Thomas annoyed another bear too much and almost paid dearly for it, he he he Don't worry, he got away.This is the entrance to the dining area. Fun huh!
I know this picture is horrible, but I really wanted a picture of this guy. There were four cowboys putting on the comedy show, singing and dancing. Well this guy just sat in the corner, didn't crack a smile (intentionally) and played about 10 different instruments. I am not describing him well at all, but if you ever get the chance to go there, I highly recommend it!
On our last day in Jenny Lake we hiked around a little lake called String Lake. It was beautiful. This is a pic we took towards the end of the hike at the river that dumps into the lake. It is really choppy right here, but about 50 feet past the bridge, it is smooth as glass.
A view of the Tetons behind String Lake.
This area is so beautiful and I think it is one of my favorite places on earth. My dad grew up on the other side of the Tetons, in Idaho, and only now am I fully realizing how amazing that would have been.
Anyway, we packed up camp and moved to Yellowstone to meet up with Thomas's family for a week of fun...... next post!

2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, it looks like you had a blast! The Tetons are stunning! You got some incredible pictures. Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jenny lake has to be one of the most beautiful places I've ever seen. It looks like you've had a pretty great summer!

    ReplyDelete