Thursday, August 5, 2010

Nauvoo

For 5 days I had the opportunity to explore Nauvoo with my family and it was amazing! Not amazing in the exciting sense, but in the awe-inspiring sense. From what the land looked like when they first settled it, to what it did after they finished is amazing. These are just a few pics of the trip, but what you won't get just out of pictures was how muggy it can be there. Ugh. The funny thing is that my dad actually likes the humidity, the rest of us weren't so keen on it :)

This is picture of the temple with a rainbow in the background, just a pretty scenic pic.

This is "Joseph Smith" with "Emma" in the background. He was played by Jeff Dickamore who was a year older than me in school, so it was kinda cool to be able to say that I knew Joseph! ha ha ha.
The pioneer lady in this picture is Torie and Cody's old choir teacher. She played "Mrs Fordham" in the pagent and is very talented! Another chance to say we knew someone in the pagent! :) We also knew two of the performing missionaries there but I didn't get any pictures with them :(
The main reason we went to Nauvoo is because my dad is in charge of the mics for the cast and helps with the audio. He has to spend 6 straight weeks there and then drive home. We flew out so that we could drive back with him when it ended. Looooonnnnnnnnng Drive.

This is me, Cody and Torie with my mom and Grandma in the background. It was totally unintentional, but look closely at my grandma and see if you can see what we laughed at. I am almost positive she was just scratching :)

This is us getting ready to go on a wagon ride around Nauvoo. My favorite is my brother who looks just so excited! (he has been there 3 times now) and my mom who didn't open her eyes ha ha.

This is Cody walking on what is supposed to be a ramp to a dock, but it is currently submerged in water. A lot of good it is going to do!

If you notice in the background about 2 rows back, there are 4 people fitted nicely on the bench, but space was going to be limited, so we scrunched 6 of us on it. I think she has forgotten that Cody and Torie aren't little kids anymore! ha ha ha

This is the bridge where Joseph and Emma were in "The Joseph Smith Movie" (I can't remember the official name of it)

On our last day there the weather was perfect so we stopped to take a picture. The flowers were very pretty.

This is a video of the bagpipers that travel around Nauvoo playing songs for everyone. Generally they are quite good, but on this particular song, the bagpipes just weren't made to hit the note that should have been hit. After hearing it over and over and over again (they were everywhere we went) I started to literally cringe during this song because I knew what was about to happen. Play it and you will see what i mean :)

Anyway, that pretty much sums up Nauvoo! I recommend it to anyone who likes to take things slow and learn about the past. I wouldn't recommend it for people with young children, no matter what you do, it just will not hold their attention. Trust me, I witnessed it over and over again ha ha.

2 comments:

  1. i know those people too! so strange! thanks for the affirmation of our decision to wait a few more years before heading to nauvoo with our clan!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW-- I didn't even know you guys went to Nauvoo! You are quite the traveling bunch! Take advantage of it before kids....

    ReplyDelete